A shop in the village of Le Castellet, near Bandol.
MEET-UP! Come to our home for a wine-tasting on September 13th or Sept 28th! To reserve your seat, email firstname.lastname@example.org
le commerce équitable (koh-mairce-ay-kee tahbl)
: fair trade
Le commerce équitable est un commerce conçu pour assurer une juste rémunération à des producteurs des pays pauvres afin qu’ils puissent développer leur activité à long terme et améliorer leur niveau de vie. -LaToupie.org (Fair trade is a business designed to assure fair payment to producers in poor countries so that they might develop their activity for the long term and improve their standard of living.)
A DAY IN A FRENCH LIFE... by Kristin Espinasse
Anniversaries, deaths, and périménopause. Whew! I think another bullet post is in order...
- Happy 20th anniversary Dad & Marsha! Gros gros bisous.
- Can we talk? Adieu Joan Rivers.
- From Chief Grape to assistant caveau. Jean-Marc's gone back-to-school at Chateau Pibarnon!
- Monday = mother-in-law's shoulder surgery. Priez pour elle.
- Bleu? But my daughter asked for blonde!
- I love bells! jingle bells. Cow bells. sleigh bells. Everything but Hell's bells.
- Périménopause, vraiment?
- Took only two years to realize the local post office has a drive-thru.
- drive-thru = service au volant. ("service on the fly")
- When you return an empty pitcher to the frigo, you are giving your mom (or wife) a glass of air with which to quench her thirst on a sizzling hot day.
- Pickle juice is no substitute for vinegar when washing windows.
- Just because you signed up for my double opt-in email newsletter does not mean you can automatically add me to your mass mailing!
- Did the previous bullet sound arrogant or self-important?
- Walk a mile in another's souliers.
- Non spelled backwards is noN.
- Always end on a positive note.
- The cicadas are gone. Hello cricket song!
gros bisous = big big kisses
adieu = "until God" (goodbye)
assistant caveau = wine cellar helper
priez (prier) = pray
pour elle = for her
le frigo = fridge
vraiment? = really?
souliers (m) = shoes
Planted dozens of zinnia seeds. Only one took -- giving back a half-dozen flowers on a single plant! Sow generously. You never know who will reciprocate or how generously!
Thank you for considering a contribution today!
Ongoing support from readers like you keeps me writing and improving this free language journal, for the past 18 years. If you enjoy this website and would like to keep it going, please know your donation towards this effort makes all the difference! No matter the weather, on good days or bad, I am committed to sharing a sunny, vocabulary-packed update with you, one you can look forward to. I hope it fuels your dreams of coming to France while expanding your French vocabulary. A contribution by check or via PayPal (or credit card, links below) is greatly appreciated. Merci!